Sunday, July 15, 2012

Things I Love About Sarajevo (TILAS)

Here is my concerted effort to be able to appreciate this summer in Bosnia instead of looking back on it as a waste. I'm going to try to post about an experience or food or something like that every day (well...maybe every couple of days...) I'm sure you're all tired of my bitching. I kind of am.

So, today's positive thing that I love about Sarajevo is the Sarajevo Film Festival. It's pretty legit. Not quite at the level of Cannes, of course, but they're doing their best. Since they started it in the basement of a bombed-out building during the war, you really can't judge them. In any case, I bought tickets to three movies for this year's festival: The Amazing Spiderman ('merica), Crossing Boundaries and Whore's Glory. Spiderman was great (the spiders in 3D were not), but I kind of expected that. Crossing Boundaries was really pretty spectacular. The showing at SFF was the world premiere, so there isn't even a page on IMDB for it yet. Because it was the world premiere, they showed it at the National Theater, where the red carpet was set up. Coolest. Thing. Ever. Everyone going to see the movie got to walk up the red carpet (after the actors and directors and fancy people did, of course) and all the paparazzi were flashing their cameras and there was a huge screen set up to show all the onlookers who was walking up the carpet...I felt like a movie star. Until the moment when I whipped out my camera to take a picture of it. Pretty sure that killed the illusion. But whatever. I was on Bosnian television and I'll probably be in a couple magazines or newspapers. Awesome.


The last film I saw, Whore's Glory, was a delightfully uplifting documentary about prostitution in Thailand, Bangladesh and Mexico. Didn't make me want to kill myself at all afterwards. Or at least donate all my money to these women who feel that they have no choice but to sell themselves in order to survive. Really phenomenal film, but don't see it unless you have an abundance of happiness that you'd like to take care of.

No comments: