Monday, July 16, 2012

TILAS2: The Elusive and All-Too-Brief Cold, Rainy Day

Today...was amazing. There had been rumors for the past three days that there was a cold front coming through sometime soon. Of course, there have been rumors of this nature the entire time we've been here, and it always turned out to be false. Talk about the worst case of blue balls ever. When it's 95 degrees with 30% humidity every day...it gets real old, and all you want is one day of reprieve. That never comes. Except for today.

We woke up (I dragged myself out of bed after not sleeping due to an attack by the Bosnian Mystery Bug) and looked around stunned. It wasn't disgusting. We weren't dripping sweat within 30 seconds of waking. We could walk into the common room and not feel exhausted. WHAT IN THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!

It was 58 degrees and sprinkling when we walked to our internship today. I had packed my windbreaker as a precaution, which was lucky, because I was legitimately chilly. HOLY HELL. We even opened the window in our 'office' (AKA former operating room) at work and had to close it part of the way because we were too cold. I know I'm harping on a seemingly mundane event, but I'm telling you, it made all the difference in the world. I didn't feel lethargic. I was happy about life all day. I came home and didn't need to nap. I did, however, immediately put on my sweatshirt and yoga pants and create a nest for myself on the hostel floor:


I didn't want to sleep. I just wanted to back in the glory of being able to wrap myself up in my previously oppressive comforter and snuggle. And oh...did I snuggle. With myself, but whatever. It felt amazing. And I will remain in my sweatshirt and yoga pants all night. While bundled up in bed. And the Bosnian Mystery Bug won't be able to get at me through all of that fabric (or he'll just attack my face...we shall see) and I'll finally sleep well because it won't be like an oven in my room (maybe...just maybe...we can even close the window?! I might be getting ahead of myself...)

Even though I know this will only last one day, and tomorrow will be hot as balls again, just having this one day of relief has made me realize that the heat is really one of the main factors of my displeasure at being here, which makes me feel A LOT better about the whole experience.

And now...I sleep :)

No comments: